+44 (0)28 8224 3444
Gaelic Life Mast Head

Club Football Championships: Are you not entertained?

It was a weekend where football jumped off the resuscitation table in the Intensive Care unit and sprung into life. Almost every county found itself steeped with some fantastic contests, big wins, shock defeats and plenty of goals.

Drama is never too far away in the Tyrone championship, at that proved to be the case with Killyclogher overcoming Omagh by six points thanks in kind to Mark Bradley’s three points and an even bigger contribution of young Matthew Murnaghan’s four wonderful points from play.

Killyclogher will meet Ardboe next after their 2-8 to 1-10 victory over Trillick. Shay McGuigan dramatically hit the winning point in with the last kick of the game to win this for Ardboe, who trailed 0-8 to 0-4 at half-time. James Garrity netted for Trillick only to see Ardboe respond through David Mulgrew’s goal. Shay McGuigan scored their second goal before hitting the late winner too.

Edendork became the first name into the semi-finals, edging out Galbally by two points on Friday evening. Darren Curry, with 0-6, top scored for the winners, while free-taker Sean Murphy scored eight points for Galbally.

Edendork’s reward is a semi-final pairing with Coalisland who upset the form book to take the scalp of Errigal Ciaran. The favourites led 2-6 to 0-10 at half-time, but after the break it was all Na Fianna with Paddy McNeice and Cormac O’Hagan doing much of the damage.

There would be no shocks in Fermanagh, of course, with much fancied Derrygonnelly making it four in a row with their 2-16 0-10 win over Ederney. The champions led 1-7 to 0-7 at half-time, with captain Ryan Jones scoring their goal, but powered home after the break to a comfortable win. Paul Ward scored Derrygonnelly’s second goal after the break.

In Down, Burren and Kilcoo triumphed over Mayobridge and Warrenpoint respectively. Niall Kane’s last free of the game confirmed Kilcoo’s return to the Down county final. Warrenpoint, reduced to 13 men by the end of the contest, pushed the champions all the way. Ceilum Doherty scored the Kilcoo goal, who led 0-8 to 1-3 at half-time. Ross McGarry and Alan Davidson scored the Warrenpoint goals.

An early three goal blitz in the second half sealed the deal for Burren in their high scoring 5-12 to 2-11 victory, with impact sub Eamon Toner scoring a brace and Liam Kerr scoring the decisive goal.

The Donegal Championship exploded into life over the four games played out this weekend. Winners Gweedore and Bundoran shared eleven goals between them before Gweedore championed 8-13 to 3-12.Their reward is a semi-final berth with Sean MacCumhaill’s who produced a shock 2-10 to 0-13 win over St Michael’s.

Glenwilly proved too good for Four Masters, winning by seven points, and will meet Naomh Conaill in the semi after they produced the surprise of the round taking the scalp of Kilcar 1-9 to 0-6.

There was just one game in Antrim where free-taker Tomas McCann top scored for Cargin in their quarter-final replay win over Lamh Dhearg. Cargin ran out 0-11 to 0-5 winners.

And finally, in Derry Lavey and Loup played out a cracker of a game at Owenbeg in their quarter-final replay. This game swung one way and the next all evening before Caolean O’Boyle’s injury time point edged Lavey to a 2-15 to 1-17 victory.

With stadiums packed and cars parked up in deeks up and down the country, club football is in rude health and we have been royally entertained. More of this we say!


What game result caught your eye this weekend, and what was the biggest result?


Gaelic Life is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW