Coulter out to silence critics
Down v Tipperary
Saturday, Cusack Park, 4pm
BENNY Coulter is hoping Saturday’s qualifier against Tipperary will give him the chance to show the small number of Down fans doubting him that he is still worth his place in the Mourne attack.
There has been some talk within the county that it’s perhaps time for James McCartan to try new options instead of the former all-star, and the Mayobridge forward admits that it’s hard to listen to such suggestions.
“I haven’t done much training since I broke my ankle and when you don’t have a good game people start to question your fitness,” said Coulter, who turned 30 earlier this month.
“People are maybe starting to talk about whether or not I should play and that’s hard for me to take.
“People are starting to doubt me and I’m glad I have this game on Saturday to show I’m fit to play for Down.”
Down travel to Mullingar on the back of a demoralising 11-point defeat to Donegal in Sunday’s Ulster final, and Coulter admits that it was a tough couple of days afterwards.
“It was tough to take,” he said. “I suppose in the immediate aftermath the things going through my head were not good.”
The full story is in the current issue of Gaelic Life, published on Thursday July 26. Buy your copy now in your local newsagent, or you can purchase the online version – for only 90p – by clicking here